Grab 6 pears, some spices and wine (yes, wine!) and hey presto, youve got a scrumptious ice cream topper, breakfast granola add-on or winter afternoon snack ready to go - itll also make your house smell delicious. Ingredients: 6 firm pears 1 vanilla bean (optional) 2 cups dry red wine 3 cinnamon sticks 1 star anise 3 cardamon pods (optional) ½ cup sugar Method 1. Scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean
2. Peel pears, cut into quarters and place in large heavy based saucepan in one layer
3. Add all ingredients
4. Add enough water to just cover the pears
5. Bring to the boil, then reduce to low heat
6. Simmer for 40-60 minutes (filling the house with the sweet sweet smells), checking on tenderness
7. Once the pears are tender, remove the saucepan from the heat and allow to cool
Eat them all immediately, or store in the fridge for up to a week!